Your family may be trying to cope with the impact of mental ill health or post-natal depression. You may be struggling to care for your children while you are trying to get better. Perhaps you find aspects of parenting unmanageable, such as:
- Establishing routines around bedtimes
- Healthy eating
- Supervision of homework
- Engaging in play
- Providing stimulating opportunities for your children
That’s where the support of a volunteer who understands what you are going through can really help. A volunteer will give you free practical and emotional support, which is non-judgemental, compassionate and confidential.
You choose together what you think will be the best support for you and your family, around your mental health. For example, a volunteer could help you to:
- Plan routines
- Have quality one-to-one time with your child
- Put into practice any strategies you have been offered to support your improved mental health
- Get out of the house – go to the park, to the library, the local family centre or a local group.